Former Embassy, Kensington
Former Embassy, KensingtonQueen Anne Apartment, KnightsbridgeTown House, BelgraviaCorner Cottage, WimbledonFormer Artist’s Studio #2, ChelseaMarket Square, ReadingFive Apartments, KensingtonNorth Vat, DungenessMixed Use, SouthwarkSartor House, ChelseaCountry House, YorkshireThe Rose and Crown, SouthwarkListed Farmstead, SuffolkGarden Studios, CambridgeHouse and Apartments, SouthwarkAmbassadors Hotel, KensingtonTown House, PimlicoSpa and Boathouse, Scottish HighlandsFormer Artist’s Studio #1, ChelseaTown House, KensingtonIsland House, BergenMews House, BelgraviaPocket Living, Kensington
This grand property in the heart of Kensington was built in 1860. The property was formerly two neighbouring town houses, which were joined in 1939 to become a school. Despite the threat of its central location, this use continued uninterrupted throughout the war.
In 1968, the State of Kuwait purchased the property and it became their London Embassy until 2000 at which time the use reverted to residential. Our brief was to create a contemporary home of the highest quality within the context of the Grade II Listed Building. Our client had specific requirements such as air conditioning throughout, under floor heating, integrated a/v and lighting.
Our response was to develop a cohesive and confidently restrained contemporary architectural design that allowed for sophisticated services to be discreetly integrated. We intended that the design process should respond positively to the stringent requirements imposed by the Grade II Listed Building. We did not wish for these to be treated as limitations – but rather as opportunities that could inform and enrich integrity of the design. Meticulous attention was paid to the selection of materials.
Andrew Kafkaris RICS from Bruton Street Management Ltd was engaged to assist with freehold consent matters.